We ate so much gelato in Italy! Italians love their Gelato and there are Gelato Universities everywhere. Their Gelato shops are like Starbucks in America, there’s one on every corner. On the Tuscan Cooking Class Tour, we were taught to make 2 desserts included in the 4 Course Feast. This is a great base recipe that can easily be jazzed up with any favorite flavor or toppings. Try it Affogato Style, topped with a shot of espresso, oh yeah!
Try this twist for a truly creamy and delicious gelato.
- 3 eggs
- 7 tbsp of caster sugar
- 1 tbsp of icing sugar
- 500g (18oz) cream
- Amaretto di Saronno biscuits Amaretto di Saronno liquor
- Separate the eggs.
- Place the sugar and yolks in a bowl and mix with a blender.
- Place the cream in a bowl with a spoon full of icing sugar and blend until thick.
- Break the Amaretto di Saronno biscuits by hand into a bowl with cream and stir gently in the egg yolks.
- Freeze for at least 1 day
- Just before serving to pour the Amaretto di Saronno Liquor on top and place a biscuit in the middle.
Culinary Metric Conversion
1 CUP = 130 g 1,5 CUP = 200 g 1 ¾ CUP = 230 g 180°C = 350°F
SUGAR : ¾ CUP = 175 g 1,5 CUP = 120 g 1 CUP = 245 g
BUTTER: 1 CUP = 240 g