Flank Steak with Blackberry Demi
Yield 2 servings
The recipe is from Chef Mitch Michelle Peace at the Brewery Gulch Inn. We had this incredible entrée during our fabulous stay during the Fall Season'19. Everything was farm to table cuisine sourced from the farms of Northern California. My hubby absolutely loves this dish and we hope you will too, from Guy Pacurar and Chef Peace's home in Mendocino to yours.
Brewery Gulch Inn is located in the rugged NorCal region known for its extraordinary views of mighty bluffs, forests, and beaches in protected preserves. It is perfect for romantic escapes, local staycations, restorative vacations, and even BFF getaways. The food is absolutely phenomenal and included in your stay! We saw a few families too that stayed for the adventure!
Read more about our hideaway at Brewery Gulch Inn in one of the most beautiful regions in the world: How Passion Leads Brewery Gulch Inn to be The Top Destination in Mendocino, CA.
- 10 lb Beef bone
- 4 Carrots
- 2 Celery stalks
- 2 Onions
- 3 Bay leaves
- 1 tbsp. Black peppercorns
- 1 c Tomato paste
- 1 Bottle red wine
- 4 c Beef stock
- 1 Carton of fresh blackberries
- 1 lb Flank steak, room temp (see important NOTE section)
- Cracked peppercorns
- Kosher salt
Stock to Sauce
- Dry roast the beef bones at 350° until dark in color
- Rough chop the carrots, celery and onions; toss together with a little EVOO, bay leaves and peppercorns; roast separately from the beef bones for 1.5 hours at 350° or until almost dark; add tomato paste
- Place the mirepoix in a large stockpot, cover with water, bring to a boil and simmer until reduced by half
- Add more water and reduce again overnight
- Strain stock
- Add 1 bottle of red wine to beef stock and reduce by half
- Add blackberries and reduce until thick enough to cover the back of a spoon
- Season flank steak with cracked peppercorns and kosher salt
- Heat cast iron skillet until smoking
- Add ¼ cup of EVOO
- Sear steaks on one side until golden brown
- Flip steaks and sear again
- Place skillet in 350° oven for 7 minutes until medium-rare
- Remove steaks from pan, cover loosely and let rest for 10 minutes
Plate, dress with blackberry demi and serve.
IMPORTANT NOTE: From Chef Peace's notes, "The recipe is for two people (one flank 1(lb) steak for 2 ppl). But because the Blackberry demi sauce is a somewhat labor-intensive recipe, Chef always makes more than he needs to and freezes the rest for future use."